Friday, January 18, 2013

To Kill a Mockingbird - Week 3

By Friday, January 25th, you should write one discussion question (10 points) and respond thoughtfully to at least two questions (10 points). By Friday 1/25, you will have read from chapters 22- 31 (the end of the book!). Make sure your questions and comments are THOUGHTFUL! 

85 comments:

  1. DO you think that one day that Scout is going to go off on her aunt because how she talks about her friends and judges her -mickey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Scout will because she had already gone off before, like when Scout was asking Atticus if she could go back to the church with Cal next Saturday.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Miss Gates talks to the class about Hitler persecuting Jews, Cecil Jacobs says, "Well I don't know for certain, they're supposed to change money or somethin', but that ain't no cause to persecute 'em. They're white, ain' they"(Lee 329)? What does he mean when he says that they're white? In other words, why do you think he's confused of the fact that Hitler is persecuting white people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think he really understands how Hitler persecutes Jews because he is confusing it with the black/white segregation policy which is completely different. In his perspective, he thinks everyone that is not black is considered a "bad'" person but then at the time there was more than one race that was being racially discriminated.

      Delete
    2. Like what Paul has said, because of where Jacobs grew up he believed that it was simply black and white. It may have been confusing to him due to whites persecuting whites.

      Delete
  4. In chapter 25, page 323 (green book), Jem told Scout that Mr Ewell said "it made one down and about two more to go (Lee 323)." What do you think it means?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Down (Tom Robinson). 2 more to go (Atticus and some other person I'm not sure who it could be).

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. I didn't refresh the padge in the process of posting, I did NOT know someone Otherwise was posting something similar. None the less my reply is still origional.
      - Josh

      Delete
    4. the first person down is meant to be Tom, and the second one is Atticus since he did so much for tom and the ewells were offended by it

      Delete
  5. Do you think it was Boo Radley who killed Bob Ewell with a knife under the tree? If so, do you think the rumors about stabbing his father in the leg was truth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Scout was right on what she saw. Then yes. If not. Then maybe not.

      Delete
    2. i think that it might be possible but if people find out that he was saving the kids it would be a different story because mr Ewell did attack the kids and he was drunk when they found him. But do you think if it was other kids do you think it would be the same thuing that happened?? -mickey

      Delete
    3. I think Boo Radley killed Bob Ewell because he was defending jem and scout but he did not intensially kill Bob ewell

      Delete
    4. I think that it was Boo who stabbed Bob Ewell because the tree by the school is super close to the Radley house. In terms of the whole 'Boo stabbing his father' deal, I'm not sure.

      Delete
    5. i think Boo did stab Bob because he was just trying to defend the kids, but i still dont think he stab his father, it was probably just a rumor, thats what i think atleast

      Delete
    6. I believe it was Boo who did it because Jem obviously was injured and couldn't really defend himself and scout is to little to stab someone the way bob ewell had been stabbed. Boo was doing a good gesture, protecting the kids by doing so. People make rumors and judge because of the way they are in their lives and haven't given the thought not to judge someone without knowing them
      Marilyn

      Delete
  6. Do you think Scout has fully accepted the fact that you can't hate others? I know she learns fast but can hatred get the best of her and go off at someone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Scout still has far more to learn since she is still young. While she may have the idea of it, I highly doubt she will go as far as to go off upon hatred.

      Delete
  7. Who do you think the person is that encountered Scout and Jem during the night of the pageant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I though it was Boo trying to protect them but when I kept reading I then thought it was Bob Ewell. It seems right because Ewell did say "One down two more to go".

      Delete
    2. I totally agree with Dominique. Because we read the last chapters today, it proves that Ewell was the one following Jem and Scout. After all, he was dead where this incident happened.

      Delete
    3. I agree w/Dom &Kevin. At first, I also thought it was Boo trying to protect Jem &Scout since he did end up saving them. But then like Kevin said, after today's reading, it only made sense that it was really Ewell following them because he was found dead near where Jem &Scout were being followed.

      Delete
  8. why do you think boo risked to save the kids and might knowing this might turn on him? and do you think that if other kids went through that way Jem and Scout did would it happen to them? or was it on purpose? -mickey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. because either to prove to people that he isnt what everyone thinks he is or, simply, because he is really just a good person. - sarah

      Delete
    2. I think he risked himself because he really does care for Jem &Scout. Also because he isn't really the person that everyone thinks he is. But since everyone wants to keep assuming things about him, by saving the kids, it can change the perspective others have of him.

      Delete
    3. I agree with Giselle. I think Boo already thinks that Jem and Scout are his friends and he cares about them. I don't think the same thing would happen if other kids went theough the same way because Bob Ewell was actually looking for Atticus' kids in purpose.

      Delete
  9. Could There be a different reason why Boo Radley Saved Jem and scout?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i dont think there is nother reason why boo saved the kids cause he became close to them and a way and wanted to protect him. they were his only friends- mickey

      Delete
    2. maybe a reason that he sayed them was that they had formed an invisble realtionship over time and he was being a good friend or person _julie suas

      Delete
    3. I think the only reason why Boo saved Jem and Scout was because he cares about them

      Delete
  10. Atticus always seems to see "the good side" of people -- Atticus treating Mrs. Dubose with respect even though she's rude and insulting, Atticus calling Walter Cunningham a good man after attempting to kill Tom Robinson, and Atticus walking away after Bob Ewell cussed at him and spit in his face. So, my question is....
    Do you think Atticus' character is BELIEVABLE? (Anyone else thought he was unimaginably nice?) Lol O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Ms. McEnany! just realized my question isnt really about ch. 22-31. i figured we could ask a more general question since we finished the book? YES? (:

      Delete
    2. i think that he is believable. i think atticus has a deeper understanding of why people act the way they do, for example, he knows mr. ewell is ignorant and he knows that he acts out to try and save face infront of the townspeople. - sarah

      Delete
    3. I agree with sarah and I think it could also have to do with the fact that he is older and doesnt want to risk getting on peoples bad sides because he is Jem and Scouts only parent.

      Delete
    4. i agree with sarah and adrian and goign with what adrian posted, i think he is more knowledgable because he's had more experience in life. because he's gone through more stuff, he knows how to handle things better.

      Delete
  11. Yes you can. This is a great question!

    ReplyDelete
  12. why did atticus think mr. ewell kept bugging everyone invovled with the courtcase even though he had won?
    - sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's because Ewell thought he would come out looking like the town hero, but instead all the townspeople turned against him..

      Delete
  13. Do you think the whole Tom Robinson rape case will be of importance to Scout & Jem in the future after learning about rape while they was young .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes because it was a turning point in their lives, and it made them realize how race played such an issue in peoples lives. - sarah

      Delete
    2. yes. being exposed to these type of issues - rape, violence, injustices, etc. at a very young age will either traumatize them or benefit them in the future. In this case, i think the whole Tom Robinson trial helped jem and scout gain more knowledge and understanding about real world problems.

      Delete
    3. The situation will definitely be remembered by the kids it was a tradgic and horrifying situation to be in especially as a kid when you can't take in what's going on just yet. But through out the book the kids have learned a lot about life and I see the topic coming up again and not forgotten.
      Marilyn

      Delete
    4. yes because its better for them to know while thier young and when they get older they will be more aware of things- Gabriel ramos

      Delete
    5. Yes becuase the kids are learning about all the injustice that is happening in that time period

      Delete
  14. aunt alexandra tells scout to never invite walter cunningham to their home anymore. why does she feel this way? - sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because the Cuttinghams are lower class. Aunt Alexandra is all about the class structure. So to invite someone lower class is crazy to her.

      Delete
  15. Do you guys think anything will happen to Boo since almost everyone thinks he stab bob ewells?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he will have significant memories of it because if you are accused of murder then it's just something that will you'd always reminisce.

      Delete
    2. I I think that he will remain in solitude for a while. I think more people will start more bad rumours about him and I think because of those, he will remain hidden from maycomb.

      Delete
  16. How did you guys feel about the ending? Briefly, what do you think the kids will take from this experience?
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the ending was too fast, I feel like it didnt really give a message. I expected it to be more moving.

      -Justine >:-)

      Delete
  17. Why do you think Boo was so adamant on wanting Scout to walk him home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think because he had not had a friend for a very long time so he wanted to savor the moment.

      Delete
    2. to show her that: "...Neighbors bring food with death and flowers with sickness and little things in between. Boo was our neighbor. He gave us two soap dolls, a broken watch and chain, a pair of good-luck pennies, and our lives. But neighbors give in return. We never put back into the tree what we took out of it: we had given him nothing, and it made me sad."

      Delete
    3. I agree with Austin because probably Boo wanted a friend and so he doesn't feel lonely.

      -Manuela

      Delete
  18. Do you think that because Boo saved Jem &Scout everyone's perspective of him would change?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yea, then they could see that he was just misunderstood

      Delete
    2. In my opinion yes,
      Know they can see that he is a good person.

      -Manuela

      Delete
    3. I agree, I think people will have a better assumption about him. Heck Tate will annouce that Boo Radley had saved the kids so the rumour about him hurting his father will be gone and his appearence in public (even though only once) will make people believe that he actually is still alive.

      Delete
  19. Jacobs was probably so used to the idea that white skinned people always have power over the blacks, it probably confused him when he heard that white skinned people where being persecuted by other white skinned people.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Why do you think the author put the part in the beginning where scout and jem was older, to mess with us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he did this because he wanted to like know what the current event of what was going on is, and then reflect on how it got to that point.

      -Katie

      Delete
  21. Is compassion learned or innate in the novel? Or both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think compassion innate throughout the novel, because when bad events would happen to people, people would respond immedially in a caring way, like they knew how to do it and they just didnt eventually learn compassion cause that was what other people were doing or they felt the need to really have to do it to look good.

      -Katie

      Delete
  22. Why do you think Scout is not scared of Boo Radley despite all of the scary storries that they heard and the fact that they were even scared to get close to his house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because she finally had the truth reveiled to her and she always had a feeling that he was not a bad person also he had done kind things over time

      Delete
    2. why she isnt scared of boo radley anymore is because boo and earned there trust with them by saving them. hayden

      Delete
  23. do you think boo Radley saved jem and scout because he wanted to earns the towns trust and prove hes not a crazy kid or did he just save them because he kinda started a relationship with them? Hayden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i believe he saved them just because it was the right thing to do and he had a relationship with them. i would have hurt him to see anything happen to the kids so he stood up for them .

      Delete
  24. Do you think that Bob Ewell deserved to die? >:-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Why do you think Boo never came out again after he had already met Scout ?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Why do you think Atticus tried so hard not to clear Jems name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. because he was so focused on working out a defense case for them and didnt realize that tate was saying that jem didnt do it. hayden

      Delete
    2. i think he didnt clear his name because he doesnt want it seem like his children are invinsible because there father is a laywer. they have to own up to thier mistakes just like everyone else in the town. if they'r eold enough to commit the crime they're old enough to do the time.

      Delete
    3. I think he didnt try to clear his name bcuz he wanted him to get a taste of the adult life

      Delete
  27. How did the trial and death of Tom RObinson change Maycomb?

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Why did someone tell the Finch kids to be careful of haints? What are haints?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haints might be something that happens as u get older like maby responsibility

      Delete
  29. I think it's a very interesting way to start a story because the readerswill be really curious about what had happened to Jem and what the realation between it and Bob Ewell and Boo Radley, so they will keep reading the book and follow the story until they find the answer, which is on the end of the story

    ReplyDelete
  30. What is one think that you like about the book?

    -Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  31. Do u think boo shouldnt hav stabbed him? Could hav jst beat him up

    ReplyDelete
  32. I apolgize to everyone for recalling a quote in which I used an acronym of a latin word that has many meanings, commonly used as black, I would have just wrote the whole word in quotations, but I felt very uncomfortable to use the whole word.If it made you feel uncomfortable I sugest you either not read any further books of this language, or do not learn latin. -josh

    ReplyDelete